I’ve launched dozens of websites, and there’s a fairly simple formula I use to get one started. Here’s my top ten list of advertising techniques and promotion ideas for new web sites:
- Use a robots.txt file to close off your site until it’s ready to open.
- Build some content and back links before you open the site.
- Link to it from several supporting web sites in your own network.
- Post comments and link to it from related blog posts and forums.
- Purchase some text links on related blogs.
- Send out a newsletter announcement to your subscribers about the new site.
- Ask for feedback and thank your members for contributing.
- Host a contest or giveaway to build interest.
- Start a pay per click advertising campaign to promote the contest.
- Collect email addresses and stay in touch with new members via a newsletter.
And most importantly: Always present a positive attitude to your visitors.